Leo Casey's statement

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Wed Sep 12 09:05:40 PDT 2001

I would imagine most people here are taking their shock and horror to their nonvirtual friends. Here people are trying to think about this horror, as they should. Inevitably, some of the thinking is more driven by counterdepressive motives, and might look obsessive and detached. Also, some of it is an attempt to avoid getting drawn into a mandated vortex of outrage over "Evil attacks on freedom/our way of life/basic American institutions," and all the other mischaracterizations in the dominant media that amazingly obscure any links to the Israel/Palestine background, which thereby becomes "unspeakable." I think we're faced with the aporia -- I think that's the word -- of having to acknowledge that the people who did this must be stopped, and at the same time that some of the motives of their actions can't be regarded as "insane" or "monstrous," that they reflect human misery and suffering, and that any attempt to try to address what is happening in the Mideast will have to somehow reflect this aporia by not angrily dismissing those motives.

Are you, Leo, pleading for something like a moment of silence, or a period of grief, before we try to make sense of this? re