Bin Laden: The story that needs to be told

Gary Ashwill gna at duke.edu
Wed Sep 12 09:44:18 PDT 2001

on 9/12/01 12:13 PM, lweiger at umich.edu at lweiger at umich.edu wrote:

>> A great story from MSNBC three years ago about how the CIA created bin
>> Laden during the Cold War. If he does indeed become the target of choice,
>> it's our job to make sure this side of the story is told loud and clear.
>> Anyone have any other good cites on this thread?
>> Chris
>
> You assume that it hasn't already been told loud and clear. My father told
> me that one of the major news anchors was discussing it with an analyst
> last night. Who could forget that just yesterday the Soviets were fighting
> the US-backed Taliban?
>
> -- Luke

It certainly hasn't been emphasized in any coverage I've seen. Plenty of people in the U.S. have forgotten, or never knew. And when they were fighting the Soviets, they were generally known in the west as the "mujahadeen" or just Afghan rebels. I don't know how generally it's understood that the "Taliban" are (many of) the same people. So yes, it is still our job (and anyone's who cares) to make sure this is talked about.

Gary Ashwill