Statement of SF Guild Chapter on the Current Situation

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Sep 12 09:40:15 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: Peter Franck

Statement of the San Francisco/Bay Area Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild on Events of September 11, 2001

The National Lawyers Guild is shocked and saddened by the acts of terrorism which today have claimed the lives of untold numbers of people at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and other sites. We oppose terrorism, whether by individuals, organizations or by states and armies. Acts such as this always victimize the innocent, and escalate world violence and the risk of war, and cannot lead to peaceful resolution of the world's conflicts.

The National Lawyers Guild is a 64 year old national organization committed to the principle that human rights shall be regarded as more sacred than property interests. Our sympathies and condolences go out to the families of people whose lives have been destroyed by today's events.

The people of the United States have the right to rely on our institutions to provide accurate information and rational and lawful responses. We insist that no actions be taken by our government that may lead to military escalation and the sacrificing of more civilians anywhere in the world. We urge all in authority to draw upon our democratic and legal principles.

We are opposed to any form of retaliation unless sanctioned by international law. U.S. military and foreign policy have already created a climate for hatred and violent attacks

against the US and its people.

As we mourn, we also urge all people to recognize that scapegoating is a misguided substitute for accountability. It is unfair and unjust to single out or try to punish any group of people as some have already done towards Arab and Muslim communities worldwide. At times of national crisis and anguish we must be particularly vigilant to protect dissent and freedom of speech. In these times of crisis we call upon all levels of government and society to respect the civil liberties of all people.

Groups and individuals who believe their rights have been threatened, can contact the NLG in Northern California at (415) 285-1055.

The Guild's National Office is 212.627.2656