List reaction to attack

Jason Zanon jasonzanon at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 15:19:34 PDT 2001

I should think, Nathan, that you can recognize in these posts you revile precisely that anti-propagandistic impulse -- albeit, perhaps, more or less successfully realized. Because the reverse of your argument is also true, that these uncounted dead are already well along the road to becoming propaganda for any number of unsavory policy options, and it will be a tactic in enacting those policies to pay fatuous homage to their memory. It already reminds me of the Gulf War, the way those of us who opposed it were still called upon to avow "support for the troops." *That* is the propaganda which will deluge us in the coming weeks and months, and supposed contempt for the victims will be its Inquisitorial hammer.

Everyone here condemns the slaughter of civilians as far as I can tell; many have been touched personally by the event. But this is a forum for critical thought, not public grandstanding, so the newsfolk's tinny acontextual adjectives need not detain us overmuch, and I for one (admittedly as a lurker) would appreciate the space to consider the manifold angles of this story without the demand that every post be prefaced by some sort of pro forma salute to the victims.

--- Nathan Newman wrote:

The fact remains that many on this list have taken the mass murder of innocents at the WTC as a chance to repeat the same litany of accusations against the US government, and implying the culpability of American citizens in those actions, as they have any other day of the week. To do so in the context of this mass murder is not to make an abstract point but to de facto, might I say semiotically, justify the attack, for communication is not just the supposed intent of a speaker (the refuge of all propagandists) but of how it will be received by audiences.