Fighting terrorism

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Sep 12 16:41:00 PDT 2001

There was a news announcement that Congress is about to approve a $20 billion appropriation to pay for rebuilding after the destruction, which a number of economists have noted may be a moderate stimulus for the economy. For New York which is teetering on recession, it would be an irony if this infusion of money helped pull it back from the brink with new construction jobs and other services to reinforce the repair and cleanup efforts.

A number of tenants had been cancelling leases for new offices built in Jersey City, but displaced WTC tenants will likely quickly fill them. If this all acts as a jobs program to cut unemployment here, maybe the rest of the country will get the idea for a stimulus more useful than a capital gains tax cut or the other measures Bush and the GOP are beginning to push again.

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org http://www.nathannewman.org ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence" <lawrence at krubner.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 10:14 PM Subject: Re: Fighting terrorism

> I heard some wank on TV today claim that if the US really wants to fight
> terrorism, the'll need to open the "lock box" and spend the SS surplus on
> this effort. Let's hope he was full of hot air....

Who cares if we spend the SS money? Most governments run deficits during war. America is in reasonably strong financial shape. Total debt at the end of WWII was 96% of GNP. We'd have to add 6 trillion of debt to get to that level.