arrests in chicago

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Wed Sep 12 20:39:30 PDT 2001

the local abc affiliate just reported about a patriotic march of "300 to 350" flag-waving americans on the local mosque in a far-south-side neighborhood. there's now a large police presence in an attempt to deter any actual violence, although the officer they spoke with said there had been "small pockets" of "altercations" and there had been arrests. he didn't say precisely how many people were actually arrested, although it sounded like possibly half a dozen.

this followed a (live on the scene) report about another pro-american demonstration somewhere in town (missed exactly where) with people waving american flags and chanting "USA! USA!" it seems though that the incidents i mentioned above might actualyl have happened before the first "demonstration" i saw a report on.

there was a separate report about concern for safety among muslims and arab-americans, which included a shot of damage done by a molotov cocktail to the arab american education center.

i don't want to make more of this than it is, but we have to say this kind of thing was predictable. presumably there will be stuff in the trib and suntimes, tomorrow, and we'll have a better sense of what was actually happening.