What is the moral course

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 17:14:48 PDT 2001

>From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>
>
>On the victimization issue, one insight I heard is the
>idea that OBL and similar types are not acting because of
>the negative turn in Israeli policy or the collapse of
>the peace process, such as it was. They are much more
>ambitious than that. They are against any peace process
>at all and any Jewish state. No two-state solutions for
>them. Without doubt, they are politically bolstered by
>Israeli policy under Sharon, but it is not what motivates
>them. I can't say if this is true, but it is persuasive
>to me. The existence of a Palestinian state would not
>have precluded what happened this week.

But the existence of a Palestinian state would have reduced OBL's legitimacy in Arab eyes. As things stand now, he could well be generally perceived (if events hold to their present course) as a martyr to the Palestinian cause even if his ultimate aims might have consigned him to marginal status in the Arab community.

Carl