Bin Laden: The story that needs to be told

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 13 10:24:21 PDT 2001

At 10:37 AM 9/13/01 -0500, Mathew F. wrote:
>Bush is so incredibly inarticulate and unintelligent it is beyond
>comprehension. This "squinting" thing is no "Texas determination" (or
>whatever); his brain is simply *aching*. His tongue is tied and his
>eyes are vacuous. His words and his tone offer no comfort or
>reassurance at all. In contrast, as conservative as Powell is on
>economic and military issues, he comes off as intelligent and
>articulate, speaking his own words and thoughts extemporaneously, in a
>calm and rational manner.

Ditto for Giulliani. His very appropriate and measured dictum "New York is stronger than this" is the polar opposite of Bush's initial "we will get you" redneck rant. Bush's evening speech on that day was somewhat better, but he was again grasping for words during his yesterday's Pentagon visit.

But that does not necessarily mean his intellectual inferiority (could be dyslexia) - it simply means that a charismatic leader he is not.

wojtek