how is new york?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 13 10:24:57 PDT 2001

Lawrence wrote:

>Hey Doug, how is the city? I'm down in Viriginia. Are things returning to
>normal? Are the stores all open? Does your neighborhood feel normal? I
>understand that everything from Soho south is crazy, but how is the rest of
>the island? Are the subways running?

Things are mostly "normal," if weirdly so. Things didn't work right on Tuesday - subways not running, bridges closed, streets almost free of traffic, phones intermittent, stores closed, etc. But there was also an odd holiday atmosphere on Tuesday afternoon - the weather was beautiful, and people were off from work, so the parks were full and so were the restaurants. Of course, no one could talk about anything but the disaster, but there was a perverse carnival feel to things too. Now, aside from the fact that lower Manhattan is closed, things are returning to normalcy. There's been very little public aggression; numbed sadness and shock, yes, but so far little of the Nuke an Arab for God sentiment familiar from earlier times. Maybe soon, but not yet.

Doug