Zizek weighs in

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Sep 13 11:18:09 PDT 2001

At 10:36 AM 9/13/01 -0700, Tom Walker wrote:
>kelley wrote:
>
> >dude's a sick guy
>
>Correction: he's European.

errr. ask elena if he is. heh. anyway, to clarify, i tire of zizek's repetitive use of film to get a point across to make something theoretical sexy-fun because he got bored as a grad student. none of what he wrote in the first few paras was useful or poignent, just another way of pedaling his wares. nothing new, of course, and he's probably been asked to write as so many pros, commentators, media figures and intellectuals have. but honestly, at least chomsky cut to the chase.

and i spent an hour talking with my boss how he should handle requests for him to address the issues, even how he should dedicate a book on cyberterrorism that's coming out in a couple of months. zizek appears to have given no thought to any of it at all. just --weeeeeeeeeeee--i get to drop film refs into political analysis--weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

my gut reaction and neurotic response since i know how ken worships him :P

kelley