Assassination - Re: What is the moral course

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Sep 13 13:09:45 PDT 2001

---- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

>The progressive goal has to be to focus that military response narrowly on
>those responsible, a sentiment that has widespread support with the public,
>who have been heard repeatedly to say they want blood, but the right blood.

-You mean assassination, or "targeted killing" in the media parlance -of the moment about Israel & Palestinians? I'm opposed to reversing -executive orders & legalizing it again, though I'd expect that in the -coming weeks & months more would advocate such a course of action.

Secret assassination has a problem, since it's disallows democratic accountability. But I have no conception of why progressives should be opposed to public assassination, unless they are complete pacificists. Killing the leader of an enemy nation or organization seems infinitely preferable to killing drafted soldiers or many civilians. In many cases, assassination may be ineffective, but that is a separate issue from the moral concern.

-- Nathan Newman