Zizek weighs in

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Sep 13 13:53:19 PDT 2001

Carl Remick:

Gordon Fitch <gcf at panix.com>
> >I think this is certainly the ruling-class view.

Carl Remick:
> Not as I construe it. The ruling-class view is to impose order by shooting
> at anything that moves.

That could work for them.

> IMO, Zizek is saying that so long as the global
> capitalist systems persists, breeding social and economic inequity
> everywhere, desperate exploited people will continue to act in a violent
> way.

I am sure he meant something like that. However, the ruling class does not wish to get rid of the global capitalist system but strengthen it. Otherwise, however, I think they agree: everyone has been living in a dream world, and now it's time to wake up to History with a capital H.

According to what Powell has been saying on the radio, the economic cohesion of globalized capitalism will now be backed by a world-wide unified military and police force. Those who don't cooperate with the system will simply be eradicated, along with random bystanders if necessary. The American people will put up with the various costs of the necessary wars to establish this version of the New World Order because they have been physically harmed and are angry and afraid. If anyone disagrees with the policy, large holes in downtown New York City will be pointed out to them and their audience, and they will be derided if not worse. If further attacks result from this policy, they will be given as reasons for additional military and police efforts. If what he says is true, NATO and Russia have already signed on to the plan.

Some of the outcomes favored by some leftists may be observed. For instance, in a press conference on the 12th, Powell mentioned that he had (listening between the lines) ordered Arafat and Sharon to start talking again. Neither will wish to offend a militarized, war-hungry, take-no-prisoners U.S.-plus-NATO; so the Palestinians may get a sort of state after all under imperial protection of course. The lure of real wars may draw the attention of profiteers and death freaks away from their present artificial Drug-War and missile-shield pursuits. Very bad _capi_ may be ordered to treat their serfs better. From a ruling-class point of view, this disaster has opened up broad opportunities.