Righties v. Empire

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 13 14:49:50 PDT 2001

There is a great deal of solid analysis, hard hitting and to the point in many of the articles. I was astonished frankly. Among particular points that I hadn't considered that are significant:

The analogy to Pearl Harbour if carried through has horrendous implications. After Pearl Harbour Japanese Americans were subject to internment, confiscation of property etc. THe same was true in Canada by the way. There was precious little if any evidence that as a group these citizens were any sort of a threat at all. Are we to see the same thing with Arabs? After all this is war we are told.

The ability to use modern technology for destructive purposes by small groups is much greater than causing a few thousand deaths in spectacular acts such as this. Germ warfare, poisonings of entire water supplies of cities are well within the capability of terrorists. Should the US or the west ratchet up the war by any type of large retaliatory action, one can expect that the terrorists too will take off the gloves so to speak. How is it no one but no one seems to mention this? Is it too delicate a subject at such a time?

There is no unaminous agreement on these matters by the way. The CATO institute takes a position I am sure would be welcomed by many on this list. However, this site has simply a headline and the Institutes statement. The headline is: CATO institute , warmonger.....

Cheers, Ken Hanly