Assassination - Re: What is the moral course

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Sep 13 15:13:30 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis" <dperrin13 at mediaone.net>
> Killing the leader of an enemy nation or organization seems infinitely
> preferable to killing drafted soldiers or many civilians. In many cases,
> assassination may be ineffective, but that is a separate issue from the
> moral concern.
>
> -- Nathan Newman

-Well, of course this only works one way -- "our" way. If US terms for -allowing enemy leaders to be assassinated were evenly applied, then Daniel -Ortega would have had every right to call for the killing of Ronald Reagan, -for instance. Indeed, every leader would be stalking his or her opposite, -which probably goes on anyway, but is this what we wish to encourage?

Absolutely! Maybe we would have less war.

I've always seen the international norms against assassination as a leaders cartel, allowing them to send 18-year olds off to die, while being able to comfortably shake hands with their counterparts at the armistice. Far better if every leader knew that war meant that his own life would be the primary head on the block.

-- Nathan Newman