(no subject)

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 13 18:14:34 PDT 2001

>On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Miles Jackson wrote:

>> > Does that apply to Iraq and the former Yugoslavia too?
>> >
>> > Doug
>>
>> Or Afghanistan in the all too near future?
>>
>> Miles
>
>Civilian casualties are absolutely justified if they somehow prevent the
>future slaughters of a greater number of persons. Somehow, I don't see
>how the attack on the WTC is going to prevent any deaths.
>
>-- Luke

Ah. Now we're getting into "Their Morals and Ours" territory... Is it more immoral for the United States to issue an ultimatum to Afghanistan (if it is indeed Osama bin Laden's group that is responsible) and to follow through (if bin Laden and company are not delivered) with massive retaliation (and thus to kill innocent civilians by the office-tower-load)? Or is it more immoral not to take actions that kill yet more innocent civilians by the office-tower-load, and thus to teach every fanatic for the next century that large-scale terrorism is a really effective way of getting the world's attention, and has little downside, and so set the table for even more massive civilian casualties in the more distant future?

I don't know the answer. One reason I do economics and not political science is that even thinking about such questions leaves me profoundly depressed...

Brad DeLong