The Sudanese Factory Bombing

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 08:15:54 PDT 2001

My reading of the evidence concerning the Sudanese factory bombing is that there probably was a failure in American intelligence, and that the factory was not producing poison gas. I have no problem criticizing the poor selection of a target, but I think that the principles which guided that selection [1] that it strike directly at the capacity of terrorist organizations and states sponsoring terrorism to carry out those tasks, and [2] that it minimize, as much as humanly possible, the loss of human life, were absolutely the ones we need to be using now. If you read the New Republic piece on the bombing, you will see that they were criticizing those principles as unnecessarily restrictive, and not simply the apparent failures in intelligence. If the New Republic is arguing that, you can only imagine what position the hard right is taking.

I would not for a moment criticize anyone making a case that the Sudanese factory bombing was an ineffective, poorly chosen response to the criminal bombing of the embassies, that it was based on poor and wrong intelligence, and that, as a consequence, it caused unnecessary suffering.

But it is an outrageously offensive insult to the memories of those hundreds of African and American dead from those embassy bombings, as well as the thousands upon thousands entombed in lower Manhattan as we discuss this, all dead because of actions specifically designed to kill the maximum number of innocent people, that an action which killed one person in an ill-conceived attempt to save many more lives was a greater crime. Chomsky and Estabrook know no shame that they would say such a thing at such a time.

>That's not fair, Leo. The accusation is that it was not making poison
>gas--that somebody lied in the process of accumulating the evidence that
>suggested it was. The accusation is that the U.S. casually knocked out 2/3
>the pharmaceutical manufacturing capacity of Sudan, with bad consequences
>thereafter for Sudan's public health.
>
>And as best as I have been able to figure out, the accusation is probably
>true.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 212-98-6869

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --

.