(no subject)

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 09:07:04 PDT 2001

The obvious analogy to the destruction of the World Trade Center, with its deliberate, calculated murder of the maximum number of innocent people, was the bombings of the American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, also designed to murder the maximum number of innocent people. That Chomsky -- and you -- should choose as a point of comparison not the bombings of the embassies [the hundreds of dead Africans and Americans are just "invisible men" in your world view, because you can not blame their deaths on the American state], but the response intended to strike at the capacity to inflict such mass murder, a response which was designed to minimize the loss of human life, and which took but on, is telling in and of itself. There is good reason, as I just wrote in reply to Brad, to think that the Sudanese factory bombing was a mistake that did nothing to actually diminish the capacity of Bin Laden to organize mass murder, or Sudan to sponsor it. But to suggest that the bombing of the Sudanese factory is an equivalent crime to the WTC destruction, as Estabrook now does, much less that it is a greater crime, as Chomsky originally did, is a deep and offensive insult to the memory of those thousands upon thousands who actually did die.

What troubles me about the capacity of a Chomsky to take such a morally blind stance is that he and I started out politically from the same position, on the democratic left and in opposition to the war in Vietnam. We started out from a motivation of ending needless human suffering and death. It is deeply disturbing that he has become so fixated on the ways in which the American state contributes to that suffering and death, that he can no longer see any other source of it, that he has become so fixated on the American state that he is prepared to minimize the deaths of these untold innocents, so long as their lives are taken in opposition to "American imperialism," that he has lost complete touch with actual human suffering as he parades his concern for human suffering in the abstract. This blindness is so awful that my fear, if anything, is that I might, at some point, have participated in it.

.