Assassination - Re: What is the moral course

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Sep 14 10:33:36 PDT 2001

First off, who said anything about the US doing the assassinating? Of course the US wouldn't have killed their own puppets!

> > Quite different. There exists no reliable evidence that would indicate
> > that execution deters crime. However, one can reasonably argue that
> > assasinating Hitler
>
> likely not. would have created a hero, a fallen hero. on the othr hand,
> supporting the struggle for the Spanish Republic could have had much more
> profound consequences for the battle against facism in Europe.

Umm, no, if someone blessed with prescience had killed Hitler before he manuevered himself into the role of de facto dictator, the counterfactual that WWII wouldn't have occured is quite plausible. Also, fighting the fascists in Spain would've likely prevented a repressive regime which lasted for decades, but I doubt it would've saved a huge number of lives.

-- Luke