(no subject)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:55:05 PDT 2001

>At 03:57 AM 9/14/01 +0000, Carl wrote:
>
> >involved and the way that aids in sanitizing capitalism's basic
>grubbiness
> >and insulating the observer from the sheer brutality that fills the
> >marketplace. You guys seem content just to twiddle with your globalistic
>\
>

>Brutality? Tell that to the Afghani women enslaved by the Taliban
>ubermenschen or petty thieves losing their limbs on the altar of islamic
>"justice." It takes a helluva abstraction and sheer ideological blindeness
>not to see this kind of brutality, but to bitch and moan how terrible the
>US is.
>
>wojtek

The LBO list remains a fertile field for false dichotomies. I have nowhere praised the Taliban as hail fellows. In fact, last year as I recall I was lambasted on the list for ethnic insensitivity for citing an article about the Taliban's brutal penal code.

The fact is, the Taliban oversee a weak impoverished society, whereas the US as always strides the globe like a colossus and now has blood in its eye as never before. Our capacity to contribute to global catastrophe through reckless action far exceeds that of the Taliban or anyone else. Since we have a sentimental false view of ourselves as the good guys and remain forever blind to the woes caused by our empire building, the chances are excellent that we will indulge in wild overreaction that will breed still worse ills.

Carl