The lack of evidence against Bin Laden:

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Fri Sep 14 13:21:29 PDT 2001

In another post I've agreed. But regardless of what is discovered about the nature of the particular organization behind this, it may be necessary to distinguish at least two phases in their development. It may be the case that the organizational resources necessary to get this going have been substantial in some sense. But once it's established, does it require much to keep going, especially if it is designed to be resilient against security forces? I wouldn't think so.

Along with fearing a US-organized massacre, I've also developed a terrornoid streak in my thinking. Bringing it out of quarantine briefly, it's grounded in the idea that the terrorist organizations might actually have more destructive weapons. It wasn't for nothing that anti-terrorist thinking tended to focus on biological and nuclear weapons leaking out of the former Soviet Union. It goes something like 1. attacks intended to generate casualties in the thousands, leading to 2. massive antiterrorist counterattacks, organized by a multistate coalition, with thousands of noncombatant Moslem casualties, establishing a "justification" for 3. use of unlimited warfare against the West. this might gibe with the letter from Tamim Ansary I posted earlier, in which he speculates that Bin Laden would like to supplant existing Middle Eastern leaders in promoting a war of "Islam against the West." I've tried to avoid demonizing OBL, and really don't know how messianic his groups are, but if his/their thinking is truly apocalyptic, and the official fears of the recent past were more than just hype, then this might be only a preliminary round.

Randy Earnest