Counterpunch article

ppillai at sprint.ca ppillai at sprint.ca
Fri Sep 14 17:16:36 PDT 2001

David Jennings wrote:

<djenning at arches.uga.edu>

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 ppillai at sprint.ca wrote:
>
> > Its ironic that for all Leo's whining about how the left on this list
> > has been callously using the recent tragedy to push its 'agenda', its
> > actually been Leo with his hysterical and sanctimonious outrage that has
> > been using the recent atrocity in an attempt to brow-beat any leftist
>
> OR, maybe he's in real pain. I disagree with most of what Leo says,
> including what he's been posting recently, but I would NEVER propose that
> he is "using the recent atrocity", particularly after his personal and
> obviously deeply felt account of his experiences since tuesday.
>
> I'm constantly amazed at the shit that people feel they can get away with
> on lists.
>
> - -david

Bullshit! I was willing to give Leo and other liberals like Newman the benifit of the doubt for the first couple of days after the event -- that it was simply the trauma and the shock of the event. But it was very clear that they were not only continuing to depict tues. events as something unprecendented in its horror and in a category all to its self, defying all comparisons to other atrocities but that they were also using the horific trgedy to beat over the head with emotional, hysterical outbursts any attempt at contextualizing the recent tragedy. Even despicably implying that those who would rationally try to understand the recent tragedy without recourse to self-righteous liberal hysterics, are people who are really somehow gloating over the recent deaths and cynically using them as pretext to put forth their anti-american agenda. That Leo et al would use (consciously or not) the horrible tragedy to emotionally bully and hence silence reasonable discussion he is serving his social role as a good liberal well --to draw the boundaries of permissible discussion, to distract attention and analysis from the larger historical, social framework, and to cover the systems left flank from any real or ideological threats -- all functions he serves quite admirably, whether or nor he his clever enough to be aware of it.

love 'n rage pradeep