What is the moral course

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 14 20:19:08 PDT 2001

Some of the reasons that western intelligence services have no clue about terrorist operations are detailed in an artilce by a former operative who resigned in disgust. Here is a typical quote:

A former senior Near East Division operative says, "The CIA probably doesn't have a single truly qualified Arabic-speaking officer of Middle Eastern background who can play a believable Muslim fundamentalist who would volunteer to spend years of his life with shitty food and no women in the mountains of Afghanistan. For Christ's sake, most case officers live in the suburbs of Virginia. We don't do that kind of thing." A younger case officer boils the problem down even further: "Operations that include diarrhea as a way of life don't happen."

Behind-the-lines counterterrorism operations are just too dangerous for CIA officers to participate in directly. When I was in the Directorate of Operations, the Agency would deploy a small army of officers for a meeting with a possibly dangerous foreigner if he couldn't be met in the safety of a U.S. embassy or consulate. Officers still in the clandestine service say that the Agency's risk-averse, bureaucratic nature-which mirrors, of course, the growing physical risk-aversion of American society-has only gotten worse.

The whole article is at: http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2001/07/gerecht.htm

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, September 14, 2001 5:35 PM Subject: Re: What is the moral course