"The Coup" interview

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 23:32:30 PDT 2001

Kelley Dubya (I must always remember her name is spelled with an "E") recenlty posted a link to a picture of "The Coup's" most recent unfortunate album cover.

They are a pretty decent rap group and I think people should take a listen (although they can be a bit overly conspiratiorial at times) if they get the chance:

"In a rap world filled with one-hit wonders, one-album wonders, nihilistic and opportunistic beat-biters, and rappers whose worldview is drawn solely from Martin Scorsese films, Boots Riley and his Oakland-based band The Coup are an anomaly: a rap group that has not only stayed at the top of its game, but actually improved with every album. Formed in 1990, The Coup released its stellar debut, Kill My Landlord, in 1993, and followed it a year later with the even-better Genocide & Juice. After that record came out, however, The Coup parted ways with former label Wild Pitch, signed with Oakland-based indie Dogday, and, after a four-year break, released Steal This Album, a compassionate, politically adept, deeply humane, and joyously irreverent album that's damn funky to boot. The Onion recently spoke with Riley about his career, his politics, and the burden of being a Communist in a capitalist world."

(yes the Onion does serious articles too) http://www.theavclub.com/avclub3506/avfeature3506.html

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/