A Cockburn Classic

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sat Sep 15 04:36:55 PDT 2001

> One thing to bear in mind: a big reason the Russians got bogged down is
> because we were supporting the other side (during which time we created
> the Bin Ladens and Khattabs that have exported so much havoc ever since).
> And that's been true through history. Afghanistan is great guerilla
> country, but part of why is because the guerillas have always been
> supported from without. If Russia and the US (and India and Pakistan and
> Iran) were on the same side with the convergent interests, it might be a
> different story . . .

> So the country might be ripe for another sweep. And if the Taliban could
> be cut off from their support in Pakistan -- which might in itself be a
> crucially good thing for Pakistan, and for India/Pakistan relations --
> this might conceivably turn out differently from the invasions of Russia
> and Britain.
>
> Michael

Yes, and I realized this the moment I sent this "Classic Cockburn Moment" in. I think it will be different this time; and I imagine that the US has told Pakistan that we're going in and going in hard and to stay the fuck outta the way. And if, as a friend suggested to me last night, US troops team with Russian commandos, I rather doubt that Pakistan will help their Taliban friends, at least not militarily.

But then, who the fuck really knows?

DP