[PEN-L:17150] Re: Support Cong. Lee

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 15 10:09:04 PDT 2001

Expect the Right-Wing media to retell all this. "The Grenada Papers, " edited by late Cold Warrior at UC, Berkeley, Poli Sci Dept, Paul Seabury with an assist from ex-Wobbly, ex-Trot neo-con, Steven Schwartz, published bt the ICS, features captured papers of the NJM in Grenada with many letters from Barbara Lee, then a staffer for Ron Dellums

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Senate/1777/dellums.htm ("A copy of the congressman's report was found among the cache of documents found in Grenada, along with minutes of a New Jewel Movement Politburo meeting on December 15, 1982. At one point, the minutes assert: "Ron Dellums: His Assistant - Barbara Lee is here presently and has brought with her a report on the International Airport that was done by Ron Dellums. They have requested that we look at the document and suggest any changes we deem necessary - they will be willing to make the changes."In other words, Dellums agreed to let the communist government of Grenada edit his report before he submitted it to the committee chairman.")

to Maurice Bishop and the rest of the NJM CC.

Heh, it's Dr. Fred Schwarz who wrote, "You Can Trust the Communists to be Communists!, " and Dr. David Noebel who wrote, "Marxist Minstrels, " on Bob Dylan, Phil Ochs, Joan Baez,, Pete Seeger, Malvina Reynolds... Michael Pugliese

http://www.google.com/search?q=Barbara+Lee+Grenada+Papers+ http://www.schwarzreport.org/SchwarzReport/1999/september99.html Volume 39 Number 9; September 1999 Marx and the Democrats by Allan H. Ryskind

Longtime Democrats still yearning to turn their party rightward have to be dismayed at the Democratic National Committee's decision to make Carlottia Scott a key part of the DNC's "new senior political/leadership team."

The far-left Scott has just joined the DNC as "chief of politics," where, in the words of a DNC press release, she will become one of "two individuals to lead the DNC's political shop." (The other is Jeff Forbes, deputy political director of the Clinton/Gore '96 campaign.)

Scott's left-wing credentials can be gleaned from the political company she's been keeping for over two decades. Until her appointment, she was serving as administrative assistant to Rep. Barbara Lee (D.-Calif.), who sports one of the most liberal voting records in Congress and, according to anti-Communist expert Herbert Romerstein, was elected in 1992 "to the National Coordinating Committee of Correspondence, a new dissident Communist organization" (see Dec. 12, 1992, Human Events).

Before that, Scott served as a top staffer to Rep. Ron Dellums (D-Calif.), Rep. Lee's predecessor in the 9th District, who made his mark in Congress by attempting to dismantle the American military and trumpeting the "virtues" of Fidel Castro, apparently his greatest political hero. (Dellums resigned his seat in 1998.)

Scott's radical politics came to dazzling light in 1983, when U.S. armed forces, in the wake of the Grenada invasion, captured documents revealing that Dellums and his then aides, Lee and Scott, had a unique relationship with Maurice Bishop, Grenada's Communist ruler, who had seized power by force in 1979. The U.S. military had intervened in 1983 when Bishop was murdered, and some 800 American students were in danger of being taken hostage.

The documents disclosed that Dellums and his aides covered for Bishop and that Carlottia had even sent the Caribbean leader mash notes. Dellums' serious effort to obscure Bishop's attempt to communize the region began in April 1982.

A member of the House Armed Services Committee, Dellums traveled to Grenada on a supposed fact-finding mission to see if the Point Salines airfield-as intelligence reports suggested-was being transformed into a military base that would accommodate Soviet bloc aircraft. Both Lee and Scott accompanied the congressman.

Instead of sending the results of his investigation directly to his House colleagues, Dellums, according to the documents, had Lee hand-deliver a draft copy of his report to Maurice Bishop and his ruling New Jewel Movement for approval. Scott was an accomplice.

continued from page 1

The minutes of a New Jewel Movement meeting revealed that Lee was present and "had brought with her a report on the International Airport that was done by Ron Dellums. They [Dellums and his staff] have requested that we look at the documents and suggest any changes we deem necessary. They will be willing to make the changes." (Emphasis added.)

When Dellums presented the final report to the Congress, it concluded-with Bishop's obvious approval-that "nothing being done in Grenada constitutes a threat to the United States or her allies."

The captured documents, however, revealed nothing of the kind. They showed that the Bishop regime was intent on thoroughly communizing Grenada and that the country was becoming a major military threat to the region. By the time of the invasion, Grenada had received a gigantic infusion of arms from the Soviet bloc and, in the words of the scholarly "The Grenada

Papers," nearly 900 "Cuban, Libyan, Soviet, North Korean, East German and Bulgarian personnel were in Grenada to assist in the transformation of the island into a major military camp."

So far as the Grenadian airport that Dellums and his staff dismissed as nonthreatening, a March 22, 1980, notation by Lt. Col. Liam James, a deputy to Grenadian Gen. Hudson Austin and a member of the New Jewel Movement Central Committee, read: "The Revo[lution] has been able to crush the Counter-revolution internationally, airport will be used for Cuban and Soviet military."

Scott, the DNC's new political chief, was not only a participant in Dellums' bogus fact-finding mission, but the captured documents include letters she had sent to Bishop for at least a year before the Dellums visit.

----- Original Message ----- From: "William S. Lear" <rael at zopyra.com> To: <pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu> Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 5:40 AM Subject: [PEN-L:17150] Re: Support Cong. Lee