A Cockburn Classic

David Jennings djenning at arches.uga.edu
Sat Sep 15 10:36:35 PDT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Dennis wrote:

> Yes, and I realized this the moment I sent this "Classic Cockburn Moment"
> in. I think it will be different this time; and I imagine that the US has
> told Pakistan that we're going in and going in hard and to stay the fuck
> outta the way. And if, as a friend suggested to me last night, US troops
> team with Russian commandos, I rather doubt that Pakistan will help their
> Taliban friends, at least not militarily.
>
> But then, who the fuck really knows?

This is from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1545000/1545697.stm

Pakistan 'will comply' on terror

Some groups oppose any US presence in Pakistan

Pakistan has agreed to comply with all United Nations resolutions in combating terrorism following the attacks on New York and Washington. But Pakistani Foreign Minister Abdul Sattar has made it clear that the military authorities do not expect to take part in any international operation outside its borders.

The government issued its statement after spending two days considering a list of demands from the United States, seeking Pakistan's help in launching a possible attack against Afghanistan.

US Secretary of State Colin Powell thanked the Pakistani Government for agreeing to "whatever might be required".

"The Pakistani Government was very forthcoming and we're appreciative", Mr Powell told reporters.

Washington is understood to have asked Pakistan to allow American forces to use its airspace and to close its long border with Afghanistan.

Ever since the attacks took place, President Perves Musharraf has firmly condemned those responsible and pledged his unstinted cooperation in combating them.

But in Saturday's statement, Mr Abdul Sattar said: "Pakistan does not expect to take part in military operations outside our border."

Fears of backlash

And, while Pakistan appears willing to allow the US to use its air space, it is less certain that the government will want American troops to set up bases inside Pakistan to launch air or ground assaults which might create a public backlash at home.

One of the main demands at this stage will undoubtedly be the provision of intelligence about Osama bin Laden, who has emerged as the prime suspect, and the Taleban authorities who are sheltering him.

There are, in addition, some suggestions that Pakistan has been asked to take action against groups supporting Mr Bin Laden inside Pakistan.