A Cockburn Classic

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 15 12:08:36 PDT 2001

I didn't mean to do that but you are right I should have made myself clearer. There were numerous competing factions and of course there still are in the Alliance in the north against the Taliban. I pointed out that Najibullah's government fell in 1992 at which time factional fighting increased as u mention. I point out that the Taliban did not take power until 1996--and even then it was just as a dominant faction. However, you are right that certainly it was not just the Taliban who were left to their own resources but all the factions. You can be sure that now the US will be happy to finance the factions in the Northern Alliance and use them as proxies or even install them as puppets. I am not sure that all these factional groups were Islamic fundamentalist engaged in Jihad. Some were probably just local strong men.

I have little knowledge of the situation in Pakistan. You are probably right that many in the military might be happy enought to curb the power of Islamic fundamentalists. The present situation is ideal to be unmerciful with not the slightest whimper of dissent coming from the west no matter how ugly and repressive the military's actions.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 1:12 PM Subject: Re: A Cockburn Classic