Vote.com depressing outcomes

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Sep 15 15:01:54 PDT 2001

To me this 4% showing against the war mongers is more disheartening than the entire past week of events. Since I'm certain that Gallup did not only poll the ruling class, a majority of the 92% in favor of retaliation are likely working class Americans. So while some subscribers on this list may think that the working class is going to create some vital change in the world, that seems a more distant hope than ever in the USA. All it takes is good old fashioned nationalism to convert them all to ruling class ideologies.

Most of my life, it has been hard for me to identify as "American" because I don't relate to the majority opinion on much of anything. While "public opinion" may not swing all one way or another, usually the dominant view is so far beyond anything I can agree with. At any rate "progress" is certainly an illusive notion in this instance. Marta