Paying the Price (fwd)

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Sep 15 20:05:01 PDT 2001

This is very encouraging, though I'm not at all confident that global managers and its ideologists (whom Krugman is certainly one its more prominent ones) will embrace it. I'm quite certain that it is not something that Bush et al will be willing as a ttradeoff for stepped up militarism...so what is in it for liberals to be so supportive of Bush's calls for war I wonder. At least during the years o f'class compromise' liberals got something in return economically for their support of the Military Industrial Complex...now?

Steve

nyt SEP 16, 2001

Paying the Price

By PAUL KRUGMAN

R ight now most Americans are focused on punishing the perpetrators.

But Tuesday's tragedy was partly self-inflicted. Why did we leave

ourselves so vulnerable?

For this is a tale not just of villainy, but also of penny-pinching

that added up to disaster and a system that encouraged, even forced,

that penny-pinching. It's a problem that goes beyond terrorism.

Something is amiss with our political philosophy: we are a nation that

is unwilling to pay the price of public safety.

In retrospect, our national neglect of airport security boggles the

mind. We've known for many years that America was a target of

terrorists. And every expert warned that the most likely terrorist

plots would involve commercial airlines.

Yet airports throughout the United States rely on security personnel

who are paid about $6 an hour, less than they could earn serving fast

food. These guardians of our lives receive only a few hours of

training, and more than 90 percent of the people screening bags have

been on the job for less than six months.

It didn't have to be that way. Last year a report by the General

Accounting Office castigated the state of U.S. airport security,

comparing it unfavorably with the systems of other advanced nations.

In Europe, the people screening your bags are paid about $15 an hour

plus benefits, and they get extensive training. Why didn't the United

States take equal care?

The answer is that in Europe, airport security is treated as a

law-enforcement issue and paid for by either the airport or the

national government. In the United States, however, airport security

is paid for by the airlines; not surprisingly, they spend as little as

possible. Don't blame them the fault lies in ourselves, for depending

on private companies to do a job that properly belongs in the public

domain.

There have been many proposals over the years to put the job in the

right hands. For example, in 1997 Robert Crandall, chairman of

American Airlines, proposed a national nonprofit corporation to handle

airport security. But such proposals went nowhere. They were too much

at odds with the spirit of the times, which was all about shrinking

the role of government, not expanding it.

And the spirit of the times was definitely against anything that

looked like an increase in government spending, unless it was

explicitly military. If you look at the sad history of precautions not

taken, again and again sums of money that now look trivial were the

sticking point. Back in 1996 a government advisory committee on

airline security recommended spending $1 billion per year about $2 per

passenger on improvements. The panel rejected the idea of a special

airport tax to pay for these improvements, arguing that since this was

a national security issue, the money should come out of general tax

revenues. But officials at the Office of Management and Budget warned

that the committee had "unrealistic expectations regarding the outlook

of discretionary funds" that is, don't expect politicians to come up

with the money. And they didn't.

This is an issue that goes well beyond terrorism. Last year Laurie

Garrett, the author of "The Coming Plague," followed up with a

chilling book titled "Betrayal of Trust: The Collapse of Global Public

Health." The story she tells is ominously similar to that of airport

security: a crucial but unglamorous piece of our public infrastructure

has been allowed to fray to the point of collapse partly because we

have relied on the private sector to do the public sector's job,

partly because public agencies have been starved of resources by

politicians busily posturing against "big government." Don't be

surprised if it turns out that we have left ourselves as vulnerable to

an attack by microbes as we were to an attack by terrorists, and for

exactly the same reasons.

I hope we bring the perpetrators of last week's attack to justice. But

I also hope that once the rage has died down, Americans will be

willing to learn one of the key lessons of last week's horror: there

are some things on which the government must spend money, and not all

of them involve soldiers. If we refuse to learn that lesson, if we

continue to nickel-and-dime crucial public services, we may find as we

did last week that we have nickel-and-dimed ourselves to death.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company | Privacy Information

[pixel.gif]