Kinda quiet

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 16 15:12:29 PDT 2001

> pk grunden wrote:
> [clip]
> consider what parallels may exist between
> Gilliam's nightmare and our future as a country in a state of
> permanent war/surveillance, i.e. "the facts of the new world." I hear
> echoes from another room, too--the interrogation room. I hope I'm
> wrong, of course. But it all seems to be playing so conveniently for
> the Bushite agenda. What sort of resistance is possible at this point?

The record on civil liberties of the Democrats is much worse than is the Republican record. As I've written earlier on this and other lists, the "McCarthy Period" is grossly misnamed. The chief red hunters were Truman, Humphrey, & the ADA. HUAC flourished when the House was overwhelmingly Democratic. It was Clinton that pushed through one of the most repressive acts in U.S. history, The Anti-Terrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act. (Humphrey was co-author of the most repressive legislation of the Cold War period. And though 50 years ago I used to laugh at my uncle's position that the Democrats were a war party (he was after all just a silly farmer with only an 8th grade education) he was essentially right. It really is not coincidental that almost every war in the last century was waged by a Democratic Administration.

I think we should be deeply thankful to the Florida Secretary of State and the 5 corrupt judges on the SC. Were Gore in office the bombs might already be falling.

Incidentally -- the subject line of this thread was a bit premature. There is more weekend traffic on the lists than there has been for some time.

Carrol