Bin Laden: I didn't do it!

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 19:10:40 PDT 2001

>From conservative paper: Sydney Morning Herald

Bin Laden denies involvement in US attacks

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/17/world/world30.html Osama bin Laden yesterday denied any involvement in last week's terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

"The US is pointing the finger at me but I categorically state that I have not done this," bin Laden said in a statement faxed to the Pakistan-based Afghan Islamic Press (AIP) news agency.

"Those who have done it, they have done it in their personal interest," bin Laden said in the statement, which AIP said had been sent to them by bin Laden aide Abdul Samad.

It was the first time that bin Laden had issued a personal denial of any involvement in the attacks.

Previous denials have been issued by unidentified aides or by officials of the Taliban, the Islamic militia which controls most of Afghanistan.

Bin Laden said he did not have the means to organise terrorist attacks because of restrictions placed on his contacts with the outside world by Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar.

"I'm living in Afghanistan. I'm a follower of Amir Ul-Momineen (Omar) who does not allow me to participate in such activities," the statement, written in bin Laden's native language, Arabic, said.

AIP is a private news agency but has close contacts with the Taliban.

The United States has identified bin Laden as the prime suspect in the investigation into last week's attacks, which left more than 5,000 people dead.

Bin Laden, the millionaire son of a Saudi Arabian construction magnate, moved to Afghanistan in 1996 after being forced to leave Sudan.

The Taliban, which regards him as an honoured guest, has refused repeated demands to extradite him for trial in connection with a string of terrorist attacks on US interests, including the 1998 bombing of two embassies in Africa in which more than 200 people died. Full Story: http://www.smh.com.au/news/0109/17/world/world30.html

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/