Israel question

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Sep 16 20:54:44 PDT 2001

Justin,

There are good reasons to believe that the Khazars were not "converted to Judaism in the 7th century AD(sic) or thereabouts," although Koestler (in "The Thirteenth Tribe," an otherwise excellent book) accepts the legend that a Khazar king, receiving emissaries from Constantinople and Baghdad, asked each to rank the three monotheistic religions in order of which one they thought closest to the truth; when the Greek said "Christianity, then Judaism, then, and by far, Islam" and the Arab answered "Islam, then Judaism, then, and by far, Christianity" the king, as a good practitioner of game theory, chose Judaism. However, Immanuel Velikovsky ("Beyond the Mountains of Darkness") points out that when the Assyrian King Sargon II deported the population of the Northern Kingdom in about 721BCE he is known to have resettled them in the northenmost parts of his empire, which then included the transcaucasion regions. One of the strongest pieces of evidence for this view is that Herodotos noted that the Colchians (inhabitants of what is now Georgia) were the only people visited by him, except for the Jews and the Egyptians, who practiced circumcision. When he asked them where they learned this practice they replied "in Egypt," which of course is where the Jews picked it up. A recent bit of evidence that the Khazars (assuming their Ashkenazi identity) had always been Jews is the presence of distinctive genetic markers in Jewish priestly (cohanim) families of European, Middle Eastern, and African descent.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64