[FWD: Re: Leo Casey on moral calculus]

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 17 08:35:06 PDT 2001

You design a bizarre argument here Leo. In fact, the interesting thing about Chomsky's argument is that I could conceivably agree with you that the numbers of people killed in WTC/P was greater than that seen in the Sudan Pharmaceutical factory and that changes nothing in terms of the *substance* of Chomsky's argument, namely that these guys are amateurs compared to the CIA, military planners, etc. In one ironic sense he is wrong, of course, since the CIA was intimately involved in the sustaining of right-wing Islamic fundamentalists in Afghanistan...so indeed, they have perhaps outdone 'us' if you are correct in your reprimands of Chomsky. Of course I don't remember ADA calls for President Reagan to not support such elements in Afghanistan back when, after all, how could he have known, eh?

Steve

Stephen Philion Lecturer/PhD Candidate Department of Sociology 2424 Maile Way Social Sciences Bldg. # 247 Honolulu, HI 96822