Leo's Ideological Cousin

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Mon Sep 17 09:24:51 PDT 2001

Max:

Here's my letter to Salon re: Horowitz, just sent.

In a piece about Bin Laden's American "brothers," David Horowitz failed to mention that in the 1980s he counted himself as a supporter of the Afghan "freedom fighters" who were then resisting the Red Army. I even recall a photo of Horowitz in Mother Jones wearing a t-shirt that showed an armed Afghan Muslim fighter, a nod, perhaps, to his old Black Panther days, when fetishizing those who waved rifles was all the rage among certain leftists, Horowitz included. And why didn't Horowitz rail against Orrin Hatch, who to this day defends the military training that the CIA gave to Bin Laden's commandos? Whatever one thinks of those who today fear endless war and terrorist reprisals, they, unlike Hatch, did not place weapons in Bin Laden's hands, train him and provide him with political cover.

Dennis Perrin Ann Arbor, MI