maniacs weigh in

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 17 09:19:45 PDT 2001

No one of course can quite compete with the comics page of the WSJ, but they can try. In today's Chicago Tribune there is an op-ed headed

Take a Stand

THERE IS NO MORE WIGGLE

ROOM FOR MUSLIMS

And near the end (I didn't read much of it, but this caught my eye), the writer (David Martin, an "Attorney from Ottawa [IL]) writes: "They ["reasonable Muslims"] must root out the worst elements of their own community and bring them to justice. They must take the lead in the restoration of sanity." I believe this is the favorite form of racism among journalists over the last decade or so. That asshole Mike Royko use to suggest in myriad ways that somehow if a black teenager mugged someone in Florida that was the equivalent of a Chicago cop beating the shit out of some alleged gang member -- that the whole black community had to take responsibility for all of their members.

Carrol