Trees sowed in May bear rotten September fruit

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Mon Sep 17 09:31:34 PDT 2001

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2001/index.cfm?docid=2928

it should be noted that this was food/humanitarian aid (which i certainly don't object to in principle, btw), partly in kind and partly in cash. it nevertheless amounts to a subsidy of the taliban regime.

however, i thought the following worth quoting from the press release:

"Even before this latest commitment, the United States was by far the largest provider of humanitarian assistance for Afghans. Last year, we provided about $114 million in aid. With this new package, our humanitarian assistance to date this year will reach $124 million. This includes over 200,000 tons of wheat."