poetic interlude

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Mon Sep 17 11:11:02 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> September 1, 1939
> W.H. Auden
>
> I sit in one of the dives
> On Fifty-Second Street
> Uncertain and afraid
> As the clever hopes expire
> Of a low dishonest decade:

This poem, I believe in its entirety, was read on NPR one day last week - the first time I'd heard it. Can't recall if it was Neil Conan, or one of the other regulars who was doing the reading.

That's some "patriotic rally" on Wall St. . . .

Dow 8937.99 -667.52 (-6.95%) Nasdaq 1595.10 -100.27 (-5.91%)

Of course things could turn around a bit by day's end, but even the rate cut this morning doesn't seem to have helped. And if one considers that there are probably a few people "doing the patriotic thing" in the face of the selling, there's obviously a lot of downward pressure. Northwest Airlines is down 28 percent at the moment.

--

/ dave /