"Religion's misguided missiles"

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Mon Sep 17 13:03:11 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 7:39 PM Subject: Re: "Religion's misguided missiles"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4257777,00.html]

> >===========
> >
> >That both Islam and Christianity [in it's earlier manifestations]
> >condemned usury rather unequivocally, as did many who espoused
social
> >revolution, should not be lost on us if we are to espouse a
> >materialist analysis of last week....
> >
> >Ian
>
> Am not sure what your point is, but I was fascinated by Michael
Lewis's
> hallucinatory explanation of why the WTC, with all its financial
businesses,
> was targeted by the terrorists -- a comment that is certainly marked
> capitalist religiosity of the most fundamental kind:
>
> "The sort of people who work in financial markets are not merely
symbols but
> also practitioners of liberty. They do not suffer constraints on
their
> private ambitions, and they work hard, if unintentionally, to free
others
> from constraints. This makes them, almost by default, the spiritual
> antithesis of the religious fundamentalist, whose business depends
on a
> denial of personal liberty in the name of some putatively higher
power."

> Full text: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/23/magazine/23LEWIS.html
>
> Carl
============== That whoever was responsible for the attack ain't exactly of fan of finance capital and, to the extent that their purpose was motivated by Islamic teachings in any way, we need to understand what they perceive as an *ethical* prohibition of usury which entails the corollary that those who do engage in usury are *unethical* and should be stopped......

< http://users.bart.nl/~abdul/chap4.html >

Ian