Brad DeLong

Gary Bramstedt gbfoto at best.com
Mon Sep 17 13:49:20 PDT 2001

I just remembered a comment by LBJ referring to one of his troublesome aides: "I'd rather have him on the inside pee-ing out than on the outside pee-ing in".

In one June, 2000, exchange with Brad (see "Re: Fwd: Truth is the First Casualty of War") I typed in "1945" instead of "1944". Rather than deal with the facts of the topic... well, see below. He never responded to the issue after that.

> glb wrote:

> In a letter to Secretary of State Cordell Hull in September, 1945
(which made
> the front page in many newspapers), Roosevelt (taking advice from
Secretary of
> the treasury Morganthau and Assistant Secretary White):
>
> "Defeat of the Nazi army will have to be followed by the
eradication of
> those weapons of economic warfare."
>
> He focused on I.G. Farben but the plan was for the total elimination
of all
> German armaments and chemical and metallurgical industries; desiring
Germany to
> become an agrarian society. Enter Truman who felt that an Agrarian
Germany
> would leave open the path for "Bolshevism." Commie-phobia, again.
>
> Patton, and other senior officers like General Draper and Forrestal,
coming
> from Dillon, Read, bankers who had financed Germany after WW1, agreed
and the
> grand plan of denazification became more and more dilute. Only a
minority of
> industrial and Gestapo leaders were arrested and by 1946 scarcely any
Nazi
> industrial leader was in custody. Many had found new jobs in the US,
> particularly in the new intelligence agencies.
>
> Right, Brad?

Brad De Long wrote:

No.

Wrong.

FDR had been dead for nearly half a year by September 1945.

glb wrote:

Opps... Change that "September, 1945" to "September 8, 1944", to be more precise:

Right, Brad?

(corrections in spelling and punctuation don't count)