simultaneity

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Mon Sep 17 16:21:33 PDT 2001

> mbs: I didn't give them the free pass, and you can't take
> it away. Circumstances provide it to them, albeit temporarily.
> They could prove to be dangerously wrong about military policy,
> but they haven't announced one yet.
>
> Another of my old saws, but I forget the source
> (it was one of the old SDS'ers):
> "Revolution is a rare event, not a moral decision."
> Stop confusing moral decisions with political practice.
============= As for the quote, how can we possibly refute or affirm it's validity? Is not political practice a moral decision? If not, what is it? I hate to be a pain in the cortex on this stuff but the concepts we've been using carelessly [myself included] in the past week is liable to make the situation worse in the days and weeks ahead, especially if we are against the rhetorics of vengeance and retaliation that are coming from the imperialists. I was "heartbroken" when I heard John McCain rant the other day, not because I think he's a leader or anything, but because he didn't learn a fucking thing about suffering sitting in that jail in Viet Nam. Maybe we aren't beings that learn? :-(

When Dubya says "freedom came under attack today" how do we contest it's vacuousness? With Dilthey and Iris Marion Young or Hilary Lawson? When moral language is used how do "we" "stop" it, especially if the implicative web of potential motivations to act will, in all likelihood lead to a containment policy of the Middle East that makes the last 50 years pale in comparison? Would we not need "grounds" for considering said counter measures immoral? Whoever networked the attack strategy has made non-violent anti-imperialism criticism and collective action even more difficult if not impossible. What is to be done, considering the war mongers in power? And if the attack and any possible retaliation have nothing to do with morality in any way despite the manipulations of moral terms for Machiavellian ends, what then?

Ian