Kinda quiet

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Tue Sep 18 02:05:32 PDT 2001

> both of whom spoke
> of the need for Americans to be self-critical and avoid the usual
> jingoistic bluster. Almost all the callers agreed, and they were
> extremely thoughtful and articulate about it. Granted this was NPR,
> with its relatively upscale and liberal audience, but still, I don't
> remember hearing anything this sane in earlier crises.
> Doug

I've some young student friends here in this town (Charlottesville, Virginia). They are organizing a peace demonstration tomorrow. Today they handed out flyers. They got a handful of sharp rejections, but mostly people accepted their views respectfully, while expressing disagreement. I told them the reactions seemed more respectful then what I remember 10 years ago, during the Gulf War.