"Religion's misguided missiles"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 06:49:34 PDT 2001

> > Yes, a bad foreign policy that is a rich stew of many misconceptions --
> > chief among them that capitalism and religion point the way to human
> > betterment.
> > Carl
>
>A lot of my New Age friends have taken a similar line - religion is evil
>and
>leads to misunderstanding and war (but, they feel, spirituality is good and
>leads to peace and understanding).

One key problem with religion -- meaning organized religion -- is that it inherently tends to violate one of its own precepts and promotes idolatry; in other words, it encourages its followers to worship *their religion* and claim a definite understanding of God that seems to negate the very concept of God as ineffable. The humbler approach of cultivating personal spirituality does not, IMO, lend itself so much to this abuse.

Carl