"Religion's misguided missiles"

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 23:56:23 PDT 2001

--- Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Richard Dawkins in the Guardian:
>

> "It came from religion. Religion is also, of course, the underlying source
> of the divisiveness in the Middle East which motivated the use of this
> deadly weapon in the first place. But that is another story and not my
> concern here. My concern here is with the weapon itself. To fill a world
> with religion, or religions of the Abrahamic kind, is like littering the
> streets with loaded guns. Do not be surprised if they are used."

It strikes me that the kind of conditions which make people consider their lives on Earth to be not worth living are likely to make some people put their faith in an afterlife, but to turn others into suicide bombers, and that Dawkins, as always, doesn't understand this because it is at least a decade since he last spoke to someone without an Oxford education.

dd

===== “Let the jury consider their verdict,” the King said, for about the twentieth time that day. “No, no!” said the Queen. “Sentence first–verdict afterwards.” [...] “Off with her head!” the Queen shouted at the top of her voice. Nobody moved.