MS Flight Simulator

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Sep 18 00:55:35 PDT 2001

``...Just finish flying my 737 into the twin towers in New York! The towers didn't come down, but my airplane did. It was on my computer. Ray

PS MS flight simulator 95 `New York City Tour'. I understand MS is changing the software as of last week ''

I just got this tonight from a work buddy who used to fill in the shop on Monday and Tuesday when I am off. According to the local news the MS flight simulator was used for practice.

Locally, along with a few candlelight vigils, the transfer of shock, sadness, and anger are being quickly turned into the worst form of sentimental nationalism with flags and the absurdity of going to work as a patriotic duty. It is one thing to go to work to get some relief from the grinding tedium of doing nothing. It is another to have that impulse turned as an endorsement for Capital and Empire. The bitterness of only working for capital and empire should set in pretty soon.

Buy America. So shopping is a patriotic duty now, huh? As if the entire spectrum of what has come to constitute this country and who rules it, wasn't somehow shown to be an utterly vacuous sham.

I went fishing Sunday and the ocean was in lousy condition. It was cold, windy, overcast, and extremely choppy. As we arrived at the northern end of our usual route, there were a few bright streaks of light green water inter-cutting dark olive drab bands of waves. Just in front of us was a huge low cloud bank in a darken slate gray all across the horizon. It was the southern edge of a minor front that moved through the Northwest this weekend. The wind was setting up small rolling breakers in the foreground. It looked like the entrance to hell.

That seemed like a more appropriate memento than anything else.

Chuck Grimes