Irony Re: Clear Channel's "Do Not Play" List

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 18 12:03:18 PDT 2001

>Jim Westrich wrote:
>
>> Alanis Morissette "Ironic"
>
>This must be on the list because Mark Crispin Miller declared the
>end of irony in the Sunday New York Times.
>
>Doug

I don't know about songs played by radio stations, but the end of irony nearly came about on LBO-talk in response to the WTC & Pentagon bombings, for some posters constantly insisted upon the conflation of explanation with justification, objective analysis with ethical injunction. Irony is beyond those who refuse to be clear-headed.

I hope LBO-talk will recover from the shell shock. Perhaps it has by now, with Doug Henwood back on the cultural front.

Yoshie