Irony

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 18 17:46:03 PDT 2001

Chuck says:

>I hope LBO-talk will recover from the shell shock. Perhaps it has by
>now, with Doug Henwood back on the cultural front.
>
>Yoshie
>
>--------------
>
>Now just a darn minute here. I tried with my suggestion that Bush &
>Co. start the bombing in Northern California. I also noted that the US
>government would have a hard time finding the guilty, because they
>were the party whom they were seeking. I also suggested Florida was
>the original bombing target, but political debts and personal ties
>voided that option.

It's true that a number of LBO-talkers -- you, Carl, Carrol, Ken Hanly, James Heartfield, Steve Philion, etc. -- never lost their heads, but for several days after the bombings, I had serious doubts about whether leftists -- especially American leftists -- can keep their wits about themselves enough to organize an anti-war movement. Beyond LBO-talk, a lot of orgs beat a hasty retreat also.

>The trouble with irony, like war, is it needs a target that isn't
>pathetic, and there is nothing but pathetic to shoot at.

Less ironic than bathetic?

Yoshie