Zizek weighs in

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:57:25 PDT 2001

>From: Ted Winslow <egwinslow at home.com>
>
>[Quoting Keynes:] ... dangerous human
>proclivities can be canalised into comparatively harmless channels by the
>existence of opportunities for money making and private wealth, which, if
>they cannot be satisfied in this way, may find their outlet in cruelty, the
>reckless pursuit of personal power and authority, and other forms of self
>aggrandisement.

Subtle thinker, that Keynes. This seems like saying that people would act in a nasty, self-seeking, domineering way if they didn't act in a nasty, self-seeking, domineering way. Doc Johnson seemed of two minds on this issue. He's well known for saying, "There are few ways in which a man can be more innocently employed than in getting money." But he also said, "When ... the desire of wealth is taking hold of the heart, let us look round and see how it operates upon those whose industry or fortune has obtained it. When we find them oppressed with their own abundance, luxurious without pleasure, idle without ease, impatient and querulous in themselves, and despised or hated by the rest of mankind, we shall soon be convinced, that if the real wants of our condition are satisfied, there remains little to be sought with solicitude, or desired with eagerness."

Carl