Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Wed Sep 19 09:34:49 PDT 2001

Max, Actually, in the urge to respond to the distortions of arguments that Leo was engaging in, it looks like I've made a generalization that, indeed, I am to date unable to document. I was thinking of people like the former head of Leo's union Al Shanker, Robert Leiken, etc. who were supportive of Reagan's foreign policy in places like Nicaragua and Afghanistan. As I said earlier, when I disagree with your arguments I can still see an argument. Leo didn't even bother try to construct a clear position in this instance, just a bunch of emotional blather, on the arrogant presumption that he is the only one on the list who has gone through emotional turmoil as a result of last week's tragedy. I appreciate the pain the tragedy put him through, but that's not an excuse for the kinds of distortions of Chomsky's arguments he was making. Nor unfortunately, assuming that my claim is seriously mistaken, would mine. $50? Don't you guys have a poor grad students fee?

Steve

Still waiting for documentation of this accusation.

mbs

Never heard any oppositin to it either. In the 80's his ADA was supporting it. Steve

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Luke Benjamin Weiger wrote:

> Excuse me, but I can't recall Leo ever voicing support for the CIA's
> funding of bin Laden and Co.
> -- Luke

Stephen Philion Lecturer/PhD Candidate Department of Sociology 2424 Maile Way Social Sciences Bldg. # 247 Honolulu, HI 96822