question about Milosevic (was RE: Bin Laden: The Story That Needs To Be Told)

Kirsten Neilsen kirsten at Infothecary.ORG
Wed Sep 19 09:47:23 PDT 2001

a few days ago michael pugliese noted in passing (see below) that "Milosevic killed 200,000 in Bosnia."

i don't dispute this -- i have no idea whether it is true or not -- but it was certainly news to me. i would be interested in pointers to reliable information that corroborates or contradicts this statement.

thanks,

kirsten

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Michael Pugliese Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 4:56 PM To: lbo-talk Subject: Re: Bin Laden: The Story That Needs To Be Told

It's at once sweeping and vague to pronounce that "...the rest of [Chomsky's] narrative is unbalanced," especially after the quote you provide shows that the principal charge against him -- minimizing Cambodian deaths -- is untrue. I suggest people consult his extensive writing on benign and malign blood-baths in Southeast Asia, along with the articles by Ear and Kazin (whose background you uncharacteristically omit) - -- particularly in this week when the accounts of mass death are once again being manipulated for propaganda purposes. --CGE

Michael Kazin, is the son of Alfred Kazin, the lit critter, who was one of the few in that cohort to turn neo-con. (See an article by him in the NYRB from '82, "The Other Day At The Plaza Hotel, " on a conference by the Committee For The Free World. (Heh, nothing like earnest Cold Warriors!) True, Kazin did write along with another ex-SDS'er, a pro-Clinton apologia for The Nation in '96.

On Chomsky, I'm more than willing, on or offlist to look at all the Sophal thesis and compare to the text of Chomsky and Herman in the South End Press vols.Chomsky, in this instance seems remarkably defensive.After all the document trawling from the National Security State (only I.F. Stone, most likely, or his son Jeremy Stone of FAS or the folks at the National Security Archive at GWU, seem to have buried themselves in more USG paper), Chomsky, in that time frame, had I think, become so cynically inured to mainstream media lies, from TNR to the Readers Digest, that his critical faculties in regard to the early reports of Khmer Rouge atrocities were bent way too far towards dismissal.Regardless, I would never put the Noamster anywhere near the same brand of ultra-leftist genocide denial of a Jared Israel, who till his dying breath will deny that Milosevic killed 200,000 in Bosnia.(Same goes for Michael Parenti). Michael Pugliese