Operation Infinite Justice

Randy Earnest earnest at tallynet.com
Wed Sep 19 13:38:07 PDT 2001

"The Washington Times has called on the Bush administration the use of nuclear weapons against Afghanistan and Iraq. Absurd? Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld had the question put to them directly and neither would rule out the use of nuclear bombs as an option."

maybe their refusal to forswear the use of nukes is simply aggressive posturing, in line with tactical advice of Eagleburger, who said that at times it's useful to act irrational. but it worries me that they believe that they can even get away with talking about the use of nukes. the development of smaller nukes will take time, but then this is portrayed as a long-term (infinite) struggle. and, what if terrorist tactics escalate into bioweapons? "they use theirs, we'll use ours." I really don't think this is simply alarmist fretting, and that it's a good idea to at least take them seriously enough to attack the shift in what they regard as legitimate strategic options. Randy Earnest

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 4:03 PM Subject: Re: Operation Infinite Justice